Join a small team connecting Midcoast Maine to cutting edge fiber optic networks.
Why come work with us?
If you want to work on cutting edge internet technology in an environment where everyone knows each others names, we’d love to hear from you.
Fiber Optic Technician Trainee
We are a growing, family-owned Fiber Optic Broadband and Telecommunications provider in Maine looking for responsible team members who enjoy working with people and are eager to learn. We offer competitive wages, full medical and dental benefits with paid vacation, sick, and holidays as well as a 401k. We are looking for customer-oriented Technicians whose duties would include installation and repair of customer premises equipment, diagnosing and repairing troubles in our fiber optic broadband and telecom network.
- On-the Job training, working directly in the field, with experienced crew members, learn the basics of:
- Outside Plant and “fiber to the premise” installation procedures
- basic fiber splicing and testing techniques
- service calls and trouble ticket procedures (fiber and ethernet)
- Central Office operations and maintenance procedures
- Network equipment programming, installation and maintenance
- Workplace safety concepts, procedures and equipment
REQUIRED OR PREFERRED EDUCATION, CERTIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Basic technical skills training from an accredited Maine Career & Tech Center or Maine
Community College preferred.
- Proficiency in English
- Willingness to learn
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to coordinate, organize & prioritize multiple tasks & follow through to completion
- Strong attention to detail and self-motivated, responsible and enjoy being part of a team
- Periodically work flexible hours to meet customer’s needs or perform maintenance
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Position requires a valid drivers’ license.
- Position requires the ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Position requires visual and mental concentration.
- Use mechanical and electrical power tools.
- Handle heavy physical workload, including climbing, lifting and stooping.
- Responds to subscribers and community to ensure positive public relations and to retain customer identification with the company.
Level 1: Fiber Optic Technician Trainee starting wage: $17.00/hour.
- Potential advancement to permanent Fiber Optic Technician after 6 months of successful training & work experience ($18.00/hr).
• Work closely with the Vice President of Operations on technical planning.
• Design, build and maintain Internet infrastructure supporting residential, commercial and enterprise customers.
• Operate and maintain all legacy layer 2 and layer 3 equipment. This includes the 42xx series core switches along with the MX40 core router and Cisco core routers,
• Operate and maintain the Cisco DWDM network.
• Manage all aspects of Internet Transit and Peering.
• Ensure upkeep of maintenance and contracts of Internet systems and equipment.
• Understand Internet edge services for DSL, FTTH provided by the Central Office.
• Understand firewall and security solutions for internal and external use.
• Support the development and pricing and of Hosted PBX, SIP Network Trunk and SIP PBX Trunk services from the LCI Metaswitch® Softswitch.
• Interface with Central Office and Business Office to support service offerings, provisioning and technological needs.
Preferred education, experience and skills:
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience in Information Technology or other applicable technical degree. The ideal candidate will have at least five to seven years of experience in the IT and IP fields.
• Expertise in Calix, Juniper, Cisco, DHCP and DNS
• Familiarity with BGP routing protocol.
• The incumbent should be proficient in the use of the Microsoft Office Suite, with emphasis on spreadsheets. Proficiency with applicable drawing tools to create system records and diagrams.
Central Office Technician
• Install, provision and maintain DSL and Fiber Ethernet services to business and residential customers.
• Install, provision and maintain various types of fiber optic multiplexers.
• Install, provision and maintain various types of Broadband loop Carrier equipment.
• Install, provision and maintain various types of Tl, DS3, OC3 and Ethernet Circuits.
• Install, provision and maintain various types of DSLAMs and related equipment.
• Install, provision and maintain various types of CO batteries and power equipment.
• Maintain and provision a class 5 Siemens EWSD TDM switching system and DCO “1 up” line frames.
• Maintain and provision MetaSwitch softswitch.
• Install cable raceway, relay racks, fiber management and duct work etc.
• Ensure proper recording, documentation and closure of trouble tickets.
• Participate in rotational “on-call” schedule to cover non-working hours.
Preferred education, experience and skills:
• 5+ years of experience in supporting network equipment or phone switching systems.
• Experience with network protocols: TCP/IP, DHCP and DNS
• Experience with of network technologies: routing, switching, DSL, and fiber.
• Experience with class 5 TDM switches a plus.
• Experience with Softswitch (MetaSwitch would be a plus), SIP, MGCP, and outside plant experience also an advantage but not required.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
Outside Plant Technician
- Diagnose and repair troubles at customer premises.
- Diagnose and repair troubles in outside network.
- Perform linework and groundwork, as necessary.
- Place and maintain cable in underground conduit systems.
- Install and remove aerial cable.
- Install and maintain pedestals, poles, carrier sites, and equipment at subscriber locations.
- Splice, terminate and maintain cables, including fiber optic cable.
- Identify counts and prepare groups of pairs for splicing.
- Install and maintain Fiber to the Premises (FTTP).
- Check and record proper readings; use test sets and interpret readings, localize trouble and determine necessary repairs.
- Participate in rotational “on-call” schedule to cover non-working hours.
- Handle heavy physical workload, including climbing, lifting, and stooping. Must be able to lift and carry at least 80 pounds and climb ladder with tools/equipment.
Experience in Telecommunications and a CDL is preferred.
Tidewater Telecom/Coastal Telco Services is and Equal Opportunity Employer. All hiring decisions are based solely on Qualifications, Experience, and Business Needs.